When I say new to the gym, I refer to the people who want to be consistent in a gym, who want to make fitness a part of their lives and most important to make it a habit.
In my opinion before you get your gym membership you have to do a couple of things.
Here they are:
- Have a plan! The best option is to hire a personal trainer to make a personalized workout plan for you. You should have that plan printed out, and you should know how to do those exercises correctly.
- Get an outfit in which you feel comfortable. It doesn’t has to be super stylish. If you are a girl your sports bra should fit perfectly, not to tight or too loose. You should wear some leggings, and be shore they are not see-through and they fit well. And some comfortable shoes.
- 3. Headphones are super important. You go to the gym to work out and mind your own business. You should not care what other people think about you, or look at you. If it bothers you, get also a cool cap, I used to do that, so you will feel even more comfortable
- You need an arm band or waist band to put your phone in. Be super careful I see broken phones in the weight sections all the time!
- 5. Decide your muscle group split. The traditional way is: Back and biceps, chest and triceps, legs and shoulders, abs and cardio. You can split your workouts in other ways too, depending on your goals and the body parts you want to focus more.
- How many sets and reps you should do? Well for beginners I would suggest 4 exercise per muscle group so it’s like 4 exercises for biceps, 4 exercises for triceps…and so on. I would suggest 3 sets of 12-15 reps.
- Check your form! There are a lot of mirrors in every gym. Check yourself if you are doing them correctly and also to feel it in the body part you are training. If you train shoulders you should feel it in your shoulders and not in your biceps or something.
- Exercising should never hurt! You can feel the burn or that you are sore, but it is not ok to feel pain in your joints!
- Do not forget to Stretch! Stretching is super important especially after your workout. It helps lengthening your muscles, and helps your blood flow in those muscles, helping them to recover.
- Get a great playlist on your phone. Music can make such a big difference! Your favorite music will push you through your workout. If you don’t have a playlist you can find any kind of music on Spotify or what I like is Fit radio, they have a lot of playlists, different kind of music, so you can choose something you like for sure.
That’s it guys I hope I could help with these tips. Now go and get ready for a great workout!
Have a great day! :*